Has your doctor requested that you have lab work done for your yearly physical or because you’re having health issues? Do you need an immunization, such as a tetanus or shingles vaccine? Have you put off having it done because you’re nervous, anxious, or just plain afraid of having that needle stick? ProHealth is here to help. Studies have shown that when you’re relaxed you experience less pain. With that in mind, ProHealth has a program that gives you a tool or two that can help you to relax when having your blood drawn or when you need a shot. We have started to employ the following calming techniques to help relax you before getting that dreaded poke in the arm.
1. Belly Breathing – is breathing that involves contracting the diaphragm, a muscle located horizontally between the chest and stomach. As air enters the lungs, the belly expands during this type of breathing. Go ahead and practice for yourself!
- Sit or lie down comfortably, with loose-fitting clothes.
- Place one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach.
- Slowly inhale through your nose for ten seconds.
- For ten seconds, exhale through pursed lips to slow down the process. Also try to release most air out of the body slowly.
- Repeat steps 3 an 4 five to ten times.
2. Aromatherapy – is a form of alternative medicine that uses essential oils and various aromatic compounds for the purpose of altering a person’s mind, mood, mental function or health. Ever notice how smelling a scented candle can relax you?
After employing these calming techniques, our clients have reported less discomfort and have left our office with helpful ways that can aid them in their everyday lives. It takes only a few moments to learn and Prohealth offers this at no extra charge. If you have been putting off getting your lab work or vaccines done, come by or call your local ProHealth office for more information. Take care and be safe!
Photo title: “Zen” by Dan from freedigitalphotos.net