Celebrate Family Health & Fitness Day

Celebrate Family Health and Fitness DayFeeling stressed because it’s already the end of September 2012 and your New Year’s resolution to eat healthy and get in shape was forgotten about almost 10 months ago? Where did the time fly?? And why does the number on the scale slowly creep to a higher number every time you step on it??

Don’t give up!

This coming Saturday, September 29th, marks Family Health & Fitness Day. So grab your sneakers, revise your grocery list, and follow our tips below to get motivated. 2013 hasn’t arrived yet!

Tip 1: Trade in afternoon TV viewing for 30-minute walks, runs or bike rides for the last 5 weeks of daylight savings time. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend that children ages six to 17 should have an hour of aerobic activity each day, and that adults should aim for two-and-a-half hours of moderate aerobic activity each week, or 30 minutes of exercise each weekday.

Cooler temperatures not only make it easier for us to do our cardio outside, but they also mean fewer mosquitoes! As always, check with your physician before starting an exercise routine.

After 5 weeks of success, you’ll feel motivated enough to continue a routine for the remaining of 2012, even if it means moving the cardio indoors.

Tip 2: Avoid getting sick by washing your hands, disinfecting surfaces, and staying up-to-date on vaccines because it’s really easy to break a workout routine when you spend a week or two sick on the couch.

Tip 3: Stay hydrated and pump up on power foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, fish, and lean meats. A good rule to follow when grocery shopping for power foods is sticking to the outer perimeters of the store, where fresh ingredients are easily found.

–          Start you day with a glass of water, drink something between and at every meal, and form the habit of bringing a bottle of water with you at all times. Although caffeinated beverages serve as diuretics, they are still better than no liquid at all.

–          Switch from refined grain to whole grain, such as brown rice instead of white, whole grain bread instead of white, and from regular crackers to whole grain crackers.

–          Build a habit of eating more fresh fruits and veggies by adding fruit to your breakfast cereal or yogurt, preparing fruits and vegetables for snacking prior to getting hungry, and trying new types of fruits and vegetables to see what you like.

–          Make sure to eat proteins from a variety of sources, not just animal protein. The best ways to include protein in your diet are to eat fish, eggs, dairy foods, soy products, and legumes.

–          Plan your meals ahead of time and double the recipe. This allows you to either freeze it for later or easily reheat/recreate it for the next day when you might be stressed and tired from work.

Tip 4: Follow the 80/20 plan by eating healthy foods 80% of the time and spending the other 20% eating what you really enjoy. It’s better to eat a piece of chocolate everyday than to binge on an entire box when the craving is uncontrollable.

References:

SEPTEMBER NATIONAL HEALTH AWARENESS & OBSERVATIONS

Photo provided by freedigitalphotos.net